A Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod (LC-MS) congregation was organized in 1956 under the direction of Pastor Harold Braun of Immanuel, Lewiston and Grace, Stockton. On February 17, 1957 the first service was held in rented space. Land was purchased between “old highway 61” (W. 5th Street) and “new highway 61.” On June 30, 1957, Redeemer Evangelical Lutheran Church became a member of the LC-MS. Construction on the new church building at 1717 W. Broadway was begun in the fall and the cornerstone was laid on Sunday, December 8, 1957. This cornerstone is under the mailboxes in the 1984 building.

In the fall of 1977, Redeemer opened one of the first preschools in Winona. It is still in operation today.

In 1984 a new building was constructed at 1664 Kraemer Drive (the other side of the property purchased in 1957.) This building is still in use today.